• Announcements

• Bodine van Wingerden

Revised: ISBT Code of Ethics   09/12/2017

ISBT is pleased to announce the revision of the ISBT Code of Ethics; one of the Societies most important documents. In December 2013 the ISBT Board endorsed a recommendation to revise the Code. The Standing committee on Ethics chaired by Dr Peter Flanagan has worked since 2014 to review and revise the old Code. ISBT members were given opportunities to comment during the review process. The new version of the Code was accepted by the ISBT membership on June 20, 2017 during the General Assembly at the 27th congress of the ISBT in Copenhagen. ISBT considers that the new code keeps the same philosophy as the old code but the new code is more useable, meaningful and appropriate. The new Code of Ethics has been translated into six different languages for the convenience of our international members. Please find an English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Arabic version of the Code of Ethics on the ISBT website. The most important changes made to the Code of Ethics are; To lengthen the code to include an introductory paragraph to set the scene and construct the specific principles that constitute the code. The introduction of a stewardship section which contains a series of statements which are mainly directed at health authorities and policy makers who set overall standards for blood service provision. The concept of stewardship is based on concepts identified in the Nuffield Council on Bioethics report on ‘Human bodies: Donation for medicine and research. Individual statements aligned to a series of ethical principles. This aims to provide clarity on why the principles are important. A series of footnotes are provided to give information on the source underpinning the statements. The use of the terms ‘must’ and ‘should’ to identify a statement as mandatory or as an objective, were carefully reviewed and considered. The term must identifies something as mandatory. Relocation of certain principles, for example the principle that blood is a public resource and that access should not be restricted is now positioned in the Stewardship section of the code. For any queries about the new Code of Ethics please contact ISBT Central Office.
Abiy

Blood Transfusion Reference Books

Question

Abiy   

Dear All,

I was in the process of updating the reference materials used in my blood bank service and also strengthening our Library for staff.

With the ever changing developments in transfusion medicine i thought it might be good to share the reference books you think are worth referring to and also any current books available right now.

Please suggest the books you have found useful and are up to date in transfusion medicine.

Thank You!

7 answers to this question

Dear Abiy,

I advise you to have a look in the inventory of guidelines and books that is available in the e-portal. There is a lot of 'up to date' in formation to help you.

Peter van den Burg

Chair working party donors & donation

Hi Abiy,

Recently a London based TP (thanks Aman!) recommend this book: 'All blood counts" a manual for blood consevation and patient blood management. (edited by Dafydd Thmas, John Tompson and Biddy Ridler). It's a wondefull new book. And not too expensive!

Good luck!

Hi Abiy! I think your question is one that could interest a lot of others here on the forum! But maybe it would be good to give some specifications on which topics related to transfusion medicine you are most interested in? There is so much out there, are you looking for best practices on blood storage for example, or how to find and retain donors?  Or are you more interested in the latest blood tests?

Thanks! Have a good weekend,

Bodine 

Abiy   

Hi Bodine, Thank you for your comment.I wanted to hear from all members who work in the transfusion services.So the reference books can cover the scope from the recruitment of donors through the whole value chain up to the bedside practice of transfusion. But for a starter people can comment on the books relating to Quality management systems in Blood Banks,Blood and Blood Products,Marketing and communication strategies for blood services,Blood Grouping and transfusion  transmittable infectious disease testing.

Thank you!

Hi Abiy, 

Great info above. Some others which might help

Handbook for TM. you can get a PDF copy from: http://www.transfusionguidelines.org.uk/transfusion-handbook

Red book which has component specifications also available from: http://www.transfusionguidelines.org.uk/red-book

We also use guidelines a lot. Mainly BSH (as well as NICE guideline on blood transfusion) which as some for lab and clinical areas - they usually cover both aspects where relevant http://www.b-s-h.org.uk/

I agree with Rozemarjin the book she notes is a good easy read which covers things well 

Thanks,

Aman 

Well, my view is that the AABB Technical Manual  would be excellent and also the newest (5th) edition of Practical Transfusion Medicine, edited my Mike Murphy and others.

Roger Dodd